Marathon Mom A Day in the Life of Olympian Marathon Mom Krista DuChene

A Day in the Life of Olympian Marathon Mom Krista DuChene


Let me start by saying how different my day must look compared to those of our front-line workers who are bravely and selflessly protecting and helping our community amidst this battle. To the grocery store employees, health care professionals and staff, first responders, delivery drivers, and everyone else who is doing their part to get us through this pandemic, we thank you. You are our heroes. 

Around 6:30 a.m., I rouse, but let myself drift back asleep until I wake for good at 7. The first thing I do is head downstairs to turn on the coffee maker and the TV for the news. I let the dog out and browse my phone, looking for the social news and other interesting happenings before posting a story on Instagram. Since the pandemic, I have been posting a picture of my coffee cup of the day followed by a few pictures with captions from the day before. I include food, recipes, runs,  “projects with dad/mom” and other things we’ve done to keep busy, homeschooling, news, sponsor shout outs, movies and documentaries watched, our dog, sceneries, and memories. I always keep it positive, away from all the negative we are bombarded with lately, and end with a note of gratitude. I’ve received a lot of positive feedback and hope to continue doing it, even if it simply brightens one person’s day. 

At about 8:00 am, after a few more coffees, I do some stretching and rolling then make one last trip to the washroom before heading out for my run. Normally no one is yet up, due to later than normal bedtimes, so I quietly shut the door and head towards the trails, which are fortunately still open. I’ve been logging about 140 km/week so I am back home after an average 23 km run, about 2 hours later. 

Around 10:30, I grab my recovery drink and my 9-year-old daughter takes a break from her schoolwork to join me downstairs for a 10-20 minute circuit that includes weights, core, and other exercises. We take turns leading an activity and end with a set of 20-30 pushups. 

I shower and eat breakfast around 11, and sit to help my daughter with her schoolwork while our two sons work independently in other areas of the house. My husband is downstairs in his home office. A few more coffees are consumed as we cover math, reading, social studies and other subjects. The kids take a break outside, often to play basketball or ride scooters in the driveway. 

It’s not usually until around 1:30 p.m. that we have lunch, staggered or together. If the kids haven’t done their chores, they are completed now along with another household task before we plug into our screens. 

It might be around 4:00 that my husband starts what I have called, “Projects with Dad.” This has been a real help for me as he is better at thinking of something time-consuming that requires energy, and needs or wants to be done. It is usually made fun by the use of some sort of machine or power tool from the garage.

It’s often outside and combined with more basketball breaks. So far a hatchet and bike ramp has been made. A large tree has been cut down and firewood stacked with the removal of the stump proving to be a good use of energy and ample time. 

Around 5:00 pm I will start making dinner while they finish up outside. If one kid is inside, itching to get back on their screen, they are usually recruited to assist with the meal.

We now spend more time preparing meals and eating together as we no longer have anywhere to go. After dinner clean up, we’re usually back on our screens. It is sad but true that a 2-hour movie or video gaming session is not uncommon on a “school” night. We often enjoy some sort of baked sweet or bowl of cereal at the end of the evening. I assemble the next morning’s oatmeal and prep the coffee maker before heading upstairs to read and say prayers with my daughter before tucking her into bed. At 10:00 pm I do a bit of reading before the end of another day, and doing it all over again. 

It’s definitely a slower pace than we are used to, but it’s working and we are continually grateful to be healthy and happy—staying at home while the battle is being fought around us.