This versatile recipe can be served in so many ways and with so many different vegetable and grain combinations. This version uses Ontario turkey breast hot off the grill, over cool veggies with a warm miso vinaigrette, making it the ideal meal that tastes like spring.
Makes: 4 servings
For Turkey Bowl:
- 1 half turkey breast bone removed, skin removed about 3/4 lb (350 g)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) quinoa
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen edamame, thawed and peeled
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 English cucumber, diced small
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked and chilled or rinsed canned black beans
- 1 cup (250 mL) corn kernels, fresh or rinsed canned
For Warm Miso Vinaigrette:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger
- 1/2 tbsp (8 mL) minced garlic
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22.5 mL) white miso paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) brown sugar
ONE: Preheat BBQ to high.
TWO: Season turkey breast with salt and pepper. Grill smooth side down until well seared, about 5 minutes to 7 minutes.Turn over and place on cooler part of grill, cover. Check doneness (internal temperature 160 F, 72 C) in 10 minutes. If not cooked leave on grill for another 5 minutes and check again. Once cooked, remove from grill and let rest.
THREE: Rinse quinoa and cook per instructions on package. Once cooked rinse again under cold water until slightly chilled.
FOUR: Arrange a large platter with quinoa in the centre and red pepper, edamame, carrot, cucumber, green onions, black beans and corn in sections around it.
Warm Miso Vinaigrette:
FIVE: Heat grapeseed oil in medium sized frying pan to medium high. Sauté ginger and garlic until slightly browned. Whisk in apple cider vinegar, miso paste, lime juice, rice vinegar, sesame oil and brown sugar.
SIX: Whisk until smooth and fully incorporated, remove from heat. Pour into heatproof bowl. Slice the hot turkey breast and fan over quinoa. Spoon warm dressing over top.
Recipe and photography courtesy of Ontario Turkey Farmers.