By Alex Flint
Depression isn’t always as obvious as you might think, and it will affect each person differently. However, we spoke with Lauren Berger, a counsellor at Integrative Health Institute in Toronto, to learn what signs may help in spotting depression early. Especially be aware of any drastic change in these areas of your life, or if you start to feel multiple of these signs.
1. Loss of motivation, or pleasure. It may be hard to get out of bed, or motivate yourself to get out for a run. The things you usually enjoy may not bring you the usual level of pleasure.
2. Feeling withdrawn from the people around you. Family and friends may notice that you’re not being as social as usual, or you’re sending calls to voicemail more often.
3. Changes in your sleep habits. Some people will experience insomnia, busy minds and light sleep. Others may start sleeping more, and have trouble getting out of bed in the morning. Either change can be a tell tale sign.
4. General feelings of sadness, for no obvious reason. It’s expected to feel sad after a great loss, or tramatic event. However, anything extending beyond 6 months can be a signal to seek help.
5. Being irritable or short tempered. Snapping at your boss, or finding everything your husband does is annoying you? If this isn’t your usual self, it could be caused by depression.
If you’ve noticed a change in these areas of your life, seek help. You can reach the Canadian Mental Health Hotline at 1-866-531-2600.