This winter, warm up with the comforting taste of home-made turkey vegetable soup. For a variation try adding cooked rice or pasta in place of barley.
Makes: 6 servings
- 1 tbsp(15 mL) oil
- 1 cooking onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked Ontario turkey, cut into strips
- 4 cups (1 L) turkey or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (total 3 cups (750 mL) 125 mL) each, fresh or frozen green beans, carrots, broccoli, lima beans, corn, zucchini
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pearl barley
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each, thyme and oregano
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
ONE: In a large soup pot, heat oil and add onions and celery. Cook until onion is soft.
TWO: Add turkey strips and stir in turkey stock, all vegetables, barley, thyme and oregano.
THREE: Simmer 10-12 minutes until vegetables are tender crisp. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.