Topping this pasta dish with a poached egg packs a little more protein into a nutrient-rich meal. Nutrition fact: Adding spinach with vitamin C-rich cherry tomatoes helps your body absorb the iron in this leafy green.
- 2 poached eggs
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg)linguine, cooked
- 2 cups (500 mL)cherry tomatoes (1 pint)
- 2 cups (500 mL)spinach
- 1/2 eggplant, cubed
- 2 cups (500 mL)marinara sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)olive oil
- 10 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)parmesan, grated
- 1/4 cup (60 mL)white wine (optional)
ONE: In a nonstick sauté pan on medium heat, add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add in the eggplant and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until nicely browned.
TWO: Add in the garlic and the second teaspoon of olive oil and continue to cook for another minute.
THREE: Add the cherry tomatoes and allow them to start to brown. Then add the spinach to the pan and toss with the eggplant and tomatoes.
FOUR: Add in the cooked pasta and toss until fully coated in the sauce.
FIVE: Distribute the pasta over two plates, garnish with fresh basil and parmesan and top with a poached egg.
Recipe provided courtesy of Egg Farmers of Canada.