Let’s be honest, fried rice is a favourite takeout side dish, and sometimes it can even be the main. Here’s a recipe that is as pleasing to the eyes as it is to your taste buds, because it’s packed with vibrant produce picks. Plus, this is a dish that can be ready in 30 minutes, with leftover cooked rice.
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, divided
- ½ cup carrot, finely diced
- ½ cup red pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup snow peas, sliced diagonally in 1/2-inch (1cm) pieces
- ¼ cup sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 ⅛ quarts white rice, cooked
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp chili-garlic sauce *(optional)
ONE: In a small bowl, beat eggs with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water.
TWO: Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs and leave flat for about 2 minutes, tilting pan to spread, or until cooked through; remove to a plate and coarsely chop.
THREE: Heat remaining oil in same skillet; add carrot, red pepper and snow peas. Stir-fry until softened about 3 minutes.
FOUR: Combine soy sauce, chili-garlic sauce (if using) and sesame oil. Add to skillet with rice and stir-fry for about 5 minutes or until rice is heated through. Stir in egg and green onion.